Preparing For Your Trip
So, you’ve decided to sign up for an Adventures Cross-Country trip. Congratulations! You are in for the time of your life. You and your family are likely going to have some questions before your trip begins and throughout the summer… Where can I buy gaiters for my trip to Alaska? What type of SCUBA certification will I earn in Thailand? What is the weather like during the summer on the coast of Belize? These sites should help you find some of the answers you’re looking for. Good luck surfing the web, and remember to call us if you have any questions that you can’t find answers for. We’re always here to help.
Activity Related Resources
- PADI “The way the world learns to dive” - Each ARCC trip that includes a SCUBA diving section involves a certification through the PADI organization. Go to this site to learn more.
- American Sailing Association The leading authority on the art and science of sailing.
- The Backpacker The online destination for the backpacking community since 1996.
- Surfline Everything you ever wanted to know about surfing - Surf Cams and Forecasts, Surf Travel Reports, full “Surfology” lessons, and a full surf store. Get ready to “shred the rad” on your ARCC trip!
Clothing and Equipment
The companies below furnish all of the gear, clothing and equipment you need for your ARCC adventure. In addition to being great resources, these companies also donate a portion of sales made through the links below to ARCC's scholarship fund.
- Backcountry: Backcountry.com offers a wide array of the best gear on the planet for serious, passionate outdoor enthusiasts. Count on Backcountry.com to have the highest quality gear for backpacking, camping, trail running, skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, kayaking, mountaineering and more.
- Eastern Mountain Sports: EMS sells over 6000 products from the top brands in the industry including The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Black Diamond, Keen, Thule, Garmin and many others. EMS also designs and sells their own EMS Brand products which range from apparel and outerwear to tents, sleeping bags, and backpacks. The EMS Brand product is solid and rounds out a strong price - point assortment for customers without sacrificing quality.
- Moosejaw: Gear up for your ARCC adventure at Moosejaw.com. Offering a wide variety of outdoor gear at great prices, Moosejaw is also one of the funniest outdoor sites on the web.
- REI: The folks at REI love to get outside and play and know first-hand the importance of quality outdoor gear. REI stands behind all of their products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Whether you're new to outdoor adventure or a seasoned pro, REI has something for everyone. REI has been a leader in the outdoor industry since 1938 and is the internet's largest outdoor store, offering a broad selection of trusted gear as well as expert advice and in-depth information about products and outdoor recreation.
- Sierra Trading Post: Founded in 1986, Sierra Trading Post was one of the first companies to sell name brand closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds at discounted prices, and they continue to represent some of the finest manufacturers and brands sold in the USA and Europe. What others call "on sale" they call "ongoing savings." They buy top quality closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds from over 700 name brand manufacturers, and offer you savings of 35-70% every day.
- World Time Server: Find out exactly what time it is anywhere on the globe that ARCC visits.
- The US State Department: The US State Department site with current travel warnings, public announcements, and consular information sheets for nearly every country in the world.
- The World Factbook: The World Factbook is an encyclopedic summary of every country’s key statistics and details (geography, politics, climate, economy, demographics, communications, etc.)
- Country Watch: Country Watch is an information provider for individuals who need up-to-date information and news on the countries of the world.
Travel and Airlines
Feel free to contact the official ARCC travel agent at Millennium Travel, the talented and always helpful Sandra Marron . Sometimes, you just want to talk to a real person when arranging your flights. Sandra will be able to help you with all of your ARCC related travel needs.
You can use these sites to book air travel to and from your ARCC adventure:
Check and confirm flight arrival and departure times at the following sites:
- Air Canada
- Air Tran
- American Airlines
- Jet Blue
- US Air
- Air Traffic Control System Command Center This site shows the on-time status for flights departing from all major airports in the United States. It is updated frequently, and is a great tool for determining if flights will arrive on time.
Adventures Cross-Country highly recommends that our families purchase travel insurance to protect their investment. Upon enrollment you will receive information about a special travel insurance policy, designed exclusively for Adventures Cross-Country through Travel Guard International. This policy provides a myriad of coverage including medical insurance, trip cancellation insurance and, if purchased within 2 weeks of receiving your final acceptance letter, it covers pre-existing medical conditions. While this is not the only policy available, it is the most common policy purchased by ARCC families.
News and Weather
- CNN World News CNN’s portal with world news, travel, health, etc.
- BBC World News BBC’s portal with world news, travel, health, etc.
- The Weather Channel The Weather Channel’s site has forecasts and maps galore.
- Intellicast Weather Site Intellicast bills itself as the weather site for active travelers.
Books and Maps
- Longitude Books Longitude books has expert book and map recommendations, featuring hard-to-find maps, field guides, classic accounts of exploration, travel narratives, books on art and archaeology, novels, and essays.
- Lonely Planet Since 1973, Lonely Planet has been showing travelers the way to great adventures around the world. Their website provides great insight into nearly every destination on the globe.
- Odyssey Guides Odyssey Publications makes guide books of little-known destinations as well as more familiar ones, and take the reader to the heart of a country, region or city.
- Frommer’s Explore your travel destinations the way locals do. The Frommer’s collection of travel products has expanded to include over 300 guidebooks.
- Maps An online World Atlas which covers 7 continents, 12 regions, 190 countries, and 50 US States. Maps, flags, statistics, and more.
- Currency Converter You can use this currency converter to find out the exchange rate for nearly every currency in the world.
- Visa Buxx Card This is not your average credit card. It has been specially designed to offer teens spending independence and responsibility, while keeping parents informed, involved, and in control. Perfect for sending with teens on an ARCC trip.
- Visa ATMs Locations of Visa Card ATM’s worldwide.
- MasterCard / Cirrus ATMs Locations of Mastercard and Cirrus ATM’s worldwide.
Passport & Embassy Information
- The US State Department (Passports) The US State Department site with everything you need to know about passports and the overseas services this agency offers travelers.
- Embassies A list of all embassies in Washington D.C.
- Center for Disease Control Travel health information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Includes reference material, recommendations by geographic region, and much more.
- World Health Organization
- High Altitude Medicine The High Altitude Medicine Guide provides current medical information on the prevention, recognition, and treatment of altitude illness, as well as other health issues affecting travelers to high mountainous regions of the world.
- Travel Health Online This site will help you have a safe, healthy adventure. Loads of useful information organized into three categories: Destination Information; Traveler Information; and Travel Medicine Providers.
- Backroads Parents, are you wondering why you can’t go with your son or daughter on his or her ARCC adventure? Are you looking for a little adventure that’s more your style while your child is away this summer? Backroads is the world’s #1 active travel company for adults. They should have exactly what you’re looking for.
- Inspired Album Designs If you are looking for an affordable and more personal way to showcase your travel photos in a stunning, custom-made coffee table book/magazine-style album, let Inspired Album Designs help. In addition to design services, Inspired Album Designs provides a variety of well priced, high quality professional flush mount albums and lay-flat photobooks to choose from. For rates and more information please contact Susan Gallagher SusanGallagher9@gmail.com.